Tuesday 12 March 2013

Spicy cajun chicken with smashed sweet potato & fresh corn salad


Jamie Oliver 15 Minute Meals

Trying out some of the recipes in my Jamie Oliver book. First to try was:

Spicy cajun chicken with smashed sweet potato & fresh corn salad

Salsa
4 corn on the cob - i used tinned sweetcorn
1 small bunch coriander
1 red chilli - i used it but won't again as too hot for me!!
4 spring onions
3 ripe tomatoes
2 limes
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Smash
800g sweet potatoes
2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce - great idea adding to potatoes, lovely flavour

Chicken
4 chicken skinless breasts
1 tbsp cajun seasoning
1 tbsp polenta - i didn't use because could't find it anywhere
olive oil
2 rashers of streaky bacon - i used smoked back bacon as its my favorite
175g okra - i didn't use
20g feta cheese

The Salsa
Tastes amazing. Next time I will not add the chilli as I found it too hot. I used tinned sweetcorn instead of corn on the cob. Add the sweetcorn to a big bowl. Chop the top part of coriander and add to the bowl. Chop spring onions, chilli, tomatoes and add to the bowl with a pinch of salt, lime juice and extra virgin oil. Mix together.

The Smash
Who knew?? I had never used sweet chilli sauce with sweet potatoes and I will use it again for sure. What a lovely taste it had. Peel and finely slice the potatoes and add to boiling salted water. Once cooked, drain water and mash with sweet chilli sauce.

The Chicken
I didn't add polenta or okra. Didn't have any in my shops!!! I didn't miss anything tho. On greaseproof paper add the cajun seasoning, salt and chicken. Fold the paper and bash the chicken with a rolling pin. Make sure the chicken is covered in the seasoning. Fry the chicken with olive oil. Once cooked, cut up the bacon and fry.

Add feta cheese  for decoration. I added. thought it was a nice touch.

All in all a good recipe with lovely flavours in the salsa. From now on I will be adding sweet chilli sauce to my sweet potatoes!! Just lovely! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment